Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sunny Southern California...
















Well... maybe not!!! This was the view from our conference room this morning. Rainingand cold. After 2 days in San Diego Drew and I (Cameron) had barely seen the sun. And itlooked as if we wouldn't again. We've spent the better part of 2 days in conference roomshearing valuable info about Cervelo and their bikes.... but no amount of info can compareto actually throwing a leg over the bike. We didn't think it would happen today....but...At just about 2:00 pm the sun started to break through and it was time to ride these bikes we've been hearing so much about. The Pacific breeze was soooo strong. But absolutley beautiful!!!
















We had the opportunity to ride two bikes, each for roughly an hour. First, Drew rode a Soloist Carbon and I rode the Soloist Super Light Carbon. After learning what goes into testing these bikes in the wind tunnel, I had some very specific ideas of what I was looking for. From the first mile out of the resort parking lot, I knew I was on the fastest bike I had ever ridden!!!! This ride was incredible. The bike had a life of it's own. It was actually going fster than my body sitting on top of it. The real test came on a 6 mile strech of the PCH with winds constantly over 30 mph. In a paceline we were consistantly holding 27-28 mph going into with wind with what felt like less effort. And the bike was incredibly smooth. So Cal has lots of man holes. The Soloist SL
felt like butter going over them. It descends better than any bike I've ever ridden and the aerodynamics of the frame save at least 15-20 watts. Over a 40k time trial that's almost 5 minutes!!!!!!!! I am a true believer!!!!

Next I rode the R3. While not as aero as the Soloist, when You take this bike up hill,,, there is no equal. Really, this bike climbs like nothing I have ever ridden. I didn't find it performed as well in the wind,,, but up hill...it was RIDICULOUS!!!!!
So... Tomorrow I plan to ride the RS. I am anxious to get back to the shop and really explain all the minute details that go into producing this bike. Cervelo is a pretty unique company and it definitely translates into their bikes. That's all for now.

No comments: